Friday, June 3, 2011

Ode to a Neti Pot

Oh salty stream of cleansing warmth,
Flow gently on your quest
To rid my head of detritus
So I might heal and rest.

Okay... so it ain't Shakespeare. But I am seriously grateful for my neti pot today. As you may have guessed, this cold or whatever bug I've got is still hanging on. Yesterday, my back teeth and jaw were THROBBING from the inflammation in my sinuses, probably because I neglected to use the neti pot for a day or so. (I'm not usually a daily user, but when I have a cold or my sinuses are suffering through a heavy pollen season, it's a godsend!) So when I got home, I immediately set about neti-potting myself.

Dude... you don't even wanna know the amount and kind of crud I was able to expel with the help of the warm, healing flow of the neti pot's saline solution! It was disgusting! I'll spare ya the details. But a second round before bed last night and another this morning has dramatically improved the comfort of my sinus situation, and probably prevented it from progressing into a full-blown sinus infection. (Maybe.)

If you've never used a neti pot, you should try it next time you're suffering from a cold or sinus issues. You can get one at most drug stores. My ENT actually recommended it to me a few years ago. I won't lie... when you use one, it kinda feels like you're drowning or you jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the pool feet first without holding your nose. And the copious amounts of "fluid" you'll be able to blow out afterward is pretty gross, but then that's the whole idea, isn't it? I will gladly tolerate a few minutes of discomfort if it will prevent days and days of sinus pain!

So I'll be good friends with my neti pot for the next little while, as long as it keeps providing the blessed relief that it has so far! (But I probably won't compose any more poetry about it. Aren't you glad?)

No comments:

Post a Comment