Saturday, March 10, 2012

But It Doesn't Really Save a Damn Thing!

I've been writing this blog for almost a year now, and so far I've managed to avoid dropping the proverbial F-bomb. Given my natural proclivity for swearing, I think that's quite an accomplishment. This post, however, may be the one to break the F-bomb-free streak.  Why? Because tonight is the night that the idiotic powers-that-be have designated as the night we all have to turn our clocks forward one hour and begin observing Daylight Saving Time.

Seriously?? WTF, people??? Why do we continue to follow this ridiculous mandate? It's completely pointless and serves absolutely no practical purpose. Advocates will tell you that it saves energy, since it provides another hour of daylight in the evening. I disagree. All it does is move an hour of daylight from the morning to the evening. And in this day and age, most people start their days well before the sun comes up, and will finish them well after sunset despite moving clocks forward. Today, the sunrise was at 6:44 AM where I live. It's finally rising at a time that seems reasonable for when most people have to get up and start their day. Tomorrow, thanks to Daylight Saving Time, the sunrise isn't until 7:43 AM. That's almost 8:00!! Dudes... 7:45 is about the time I'm leaving the house to walk my dog in the mornings... by that time, I've already been up nearly two hours. That's two hours I now have to spend in darkness, or use energy to turn on the lights. So how does it save energy?

"But Remarkable Monkey, we get an EXTRA hour of daylight! Woohooo!" Uh... no we don't! There are still exactly the same number of hours of daylight there would have been if we left the clocks alone. We've only moved one from the morning to the evening. And in the process, we've disrupted the sleep cycles of millions of people! Dangit... it's hard enough to get up in the mornings, now you're gonna make me do it a whole hour earlier?? For a cockamamie bogus reason like Daylight Saving Time? Give me an effin' break! And why do we have to have eight months of this BS?? Eight months? Really? Ya know... I could probably tolerate it if we'd just do it six months like we used to. In another month, if Standard Time was still in place, the sunrise would have at been just after 6:00 AM. Moving the clocks ahead in April instead of March would at least provide a much more civilized beginning to Daylight Saving Time, pushing the sunrise to just after 7:00. I think that's reasonable, don't you?

For now, it's gonna be a rough few weeks for me, trying to adjust to losing an hour of sleep. For those of you who know me, be prepared. I'm probably gonna be a lot crankier than usual! I abhor Daylight Saving Time. I think it should be abolished, or at least limited to six months a year. But maybe it's just me.

Hey, looky there! Still no official full-on F-bomb dropped in the blog! But all bets are off during my DST adjustment period beginning tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment